Haigerloch lies at between 430 and 550 metres elevation in the valley of the Eyach
, which forms two loops in a steep shelly limestone valley. It calls itself the 'Felsenstädtchen' (rocky small town).
The municipalities are specified in clockwise order from the north, and belong to the Zollernalbkreis
The first documented mention of Haigerloch was in the year 1095. In the thirteenth century, Haigerloch received Stadtrecht (town status). In the last months of World War II
, Haigerloch was the location of part of the German nuclear programme
, researching nuclear fission
towards building an atom bomb
. This was unsuccessful by the end of the war.